Monday, January 12, 2015

Being Present...it's not just about roll call

A few weeks back I had a sweet reminder that my work as a Principal is to see the masses AND see the individuals. Our fabulous Joy James Librarian, April Scott, asked me once again to participate in the Scholastic "Read Your Heart Out" challenge for Principals.  I looked at my "to-do" list and through grinding teeth I said "SURE!"  In case you missed the sarcasm, I was not wanting to devote an entire day to reading. I had deadlines to meet and walkthroughs to do.  Then I stopped. Wow! Isn't the core reason for our career to teach the love of reading and learning?  It is easy to get caught up in the details of the daily "to-do" list and testing challenges etc. What I got out of this day was inexpressible through words.  However, these pictures may capture the moment and offer you a reminder as well--It's always about the children no matter how busy we get.  Being "present" isn't always easy to do but it's at the heart of true leadership.     And yes...we took a selfie!!


1 comment:

  1. Love the selfie! This year I have found it difficult to make time on my to-do list to do what I love most, spend time with students and be part of their learning experience. But, every time I do I walk away with a smile and full heart. I guess we need to start scheduling "Student Learning Interaction" on our Outlook calendars. Way to go and be "present"!

    ReplyDelete